MediaInfo for Mac: Know everything about your media files.

You should consider this piece of software my “hello world” project in the Mac development arena, because, even the fact that i have pretty good skills when it comes to OO development, I’m totally new when it comes to the Mac, and I’m using this project mainly as a learning experience.

Attention: download links were moved

In order to keep things organized, the download links and general information for MediaInfo Mac were moved into this new website.

MediaInfo Mac ScreenshotIn the past few days i have been working in a full Aqua version of a linux tool called “Mediainfo”, so this is the result.
Let me introduce you to “MediaInfo Mac”.

MediaInfo Mac does just one thing: it gives you a lot of information about multimedia files, even files that QuickTime can’t read, and it does that by using a custom Universal Binary build of the linux library “libmediainfo” by Jerome Martinez as its core.
This application is obviously OpenSource and i will make all the sources available as soon as i finish cleaning the code and configuring an SVN repository on this server.
MediaInfo Mac requires any PowerPC or Intel Macintosh computer running MacOS X 10.4 “Tiger” or newer.
If you have any question or suggestion, feel free to leave your comment below :).

A BIG thank you goes to Rainer Brockerhoff, (who is a true monster in the Macintosh development area), for having the patience to answer a lot of my questions, and also, to the guys at #macdev on freenode for helping me to understand a lot of things in the “Cocoa Arena”. Thank you, i really appreciate your time.

In order to keep things in organized, anything in relation with MediaInfo Mac is going to be on this new website.

IF you are any kind of software tracker, there is a feed with MediaInfo updates, and it is compatible with the AppCast definition.

36 Responses to “MediaInfo for Mac: Know everything about your media files.”

1. Excellent work Diego!
    Welcome to Mac!!! MediaInfo Mac is superb. Thanks for sharing your excellent
    efforts. And please keep us posted on your other projects. These types of programs
    and your skills are why the Mac community is thriving. On behalf of many media buffs
    and producers — THANK YOU AGAIN

by Michael Sidoric, February 2nd, 2008 at 12:52 am

2. Hi Diego,

thanks for this piece of software, I like it very much & its exactly what i was looking for.

Cheers & keep going

by flo, February 2nd, 2008 at 6:17 am

3. Thanks for working on something like this. I got 13mb flv file that your app reports some things incorrectly. Can you include a bug report feature for this? (mediainfo says the flv is 298 hours and 9 trillion frames in length).

You can view it here: http://www.fiatforum.com/leisure-lounge/123682-german-forklift-safety.html

It’s has a fair amount of fake bloodletting, so it might not be safe for work.

by David Nix, February 2nd, 2008 at 2:00 pm

4. Nice application and just what I have been looking for! Thank you!

Is there any way to open more than one window so that I can compare the information on two video files side-by-side?

by Brin Cooke, February 2nd, 2008 at 2:01 pm

5. Hey all, thanks for the comments, and yes, i am aware that there are some problems still with this tool, I’m working on this and the next version will be better.
    Keep in mind that this is still beta software, and even the fact that it works OK in most cases, it **could** fail :p
    Thank you all for your patience.

// Diego.

by Diego Massanti, February 2nd, 2008 at 2:09 pm

6. Hey Brin, thanks for the feedback.
    Right now the application cant compare results, but you can always open the application twice if you need to results at the same time.

I will consider to add that feature in the future.

by Diego Massanti, February 2nd, 2008 at 2:27 pm

7. David Nix> I am the developper of libmediainfo, the FLV problem has been identified and patched, will be OK in next release.

by Zenitram, February 2nd, 2008 at 4:01 pm

8. Hi Diego

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to try opening MediaInfo twice as you suggest but I have to admit that I’ve no idea how to do this in Leopard!

by Brin Cooke, February 3rd, 2008 at 10:45 am

9. Nice application indeed! I am the developper of VideoSpec, an app designed in AppleScript Studio and using MPlayer, FFmpeg and MediaInfo CLI binaried to display infos on videos. MediaInfo for Mac is indeed faster than VideoSpec. I am working on an improved version of VideoSpec with more parameters taken in account thanks to MediaInfo (and Zen ;-)) and the possibility to compare video files.
    Laurent

by Laurent Ettouati, February 3rd, 2008 at 5:03 pm

10. New version has been released (0.7.5.81), links are updated in this post. i Highly recomment everybody to allow the application to periodically check for updates, because at this point in releasing new versions with new features almost daily.

Thanks.

by Diego Massanti, February 4th, 2008 at 1:51 am

11. Hey Laurent, thanks for commenting. Regarding the parameters thingy, i plan to implement each and every parameter available on MediaInfo, so, as long as it is documented in Jerome’s API, it will be available in this app. Its just a matter of time at this point to finish the “User Preferences” screen :p.

Im really interested in AppleScript actually, but at the same time, i know zero about it :p, but so far your tool looks impressive.

Regarding the file comparison issue, my app is OO from the roots, so again, its just a matter of time to implement the ability to have virtually infinite number of opened files and being able to compare between them.

by Diego Massanti, February 4th, 2008 at 1:59 am

12. Don’t worry Brin, assuming that you have the application inside your “Applications” folder, then, open terminal and type this:

/Applications/MediaInfo\ Mac.app/Contents/MacOS/MediaInfo\ Mac

…and press enter

you can type that as many times as you want, and it will open a new instance of the application each time you type it.

For now, and while i finish the MDI interface, that will work.

by Diego Massanti, February 4th, 2008 at 2:06 am

13. Hi,
    I’ll give it a try but thought I’d leave a suggestion/question while I wait for DL. I have many video files in all kinds of forms and formats. This drives me nuts because not all formats open with the same application or play on my DVD player. It would be great if I could easily batch convert everything to play on my DVD player. I’ve tried some conversion apps but some apps increase the size dramatically or it won’t recognize the format or worse, drastically reduces the quality. Wouldn’t it be great if one app designed for easy use would simply recognize the original format then convert it as part of a batch process to a standard optimized for high quality but small file size compression. This program should at least help me identify the codec used in files that meet this requirement of high quality and high compression. I have 90 minute video compressed to 350 MB and the quality is fine for my use. Thanks for making this available.

by peter.register, February 6th, 2008 at 9:45 am

14. Thanks
    For h.264 it doesn’t say if settings like CABAC was enabled or not.
    For Xvid it does give settings of advanced parameters like QPel etc.

I know Avinaptic gives those advance parameter info. look at the link for screenshots

I can use this information to test which advanced parameters did Adobe used for their flash HD gallery, So that i know whats supported by Flash’s H.264 decoder

by MySchizoBuddy, February 6th, 2008 at 12:57 pm

15. MediaInfo Mac has been featured at http://www.linuxlinks.com

by Steve, February 10th, 2008 at 11:43 am

16. A very nice tool indeed, and one I have been missing for a long time on the Mac. Thanks!

Suggestion: when you have time, maybe you would consider doing some changes to the interface. The way it is now, all the parameters of audio/video is in a vertical list. I think it would be easier to read information if you divide the interface into sections. An example on how it could be done is the excellent (PC only unfortunately) GSpot tool:

by Peter, February 11th, 2008 at 6:13 am

17. Diego,

Really nice application, very worthy of my donation. I have a QT file that doesn’t seem to be supplying all its info, though. MediaInfo Mac doesn’t see the video stream, only the audio stream. Any ideas?

JH

by Jonathan Heuer, February 18th, 2008 at 1:07 pm

18. i am reporting a bug in the latest build of mediainfo for mac (0.7.5.91);

the settings on the container, video and audio stream panels in the preference window are unreadable. that is the the text and background in those three panels are both black [unless the particular setting is highlighted with the mouse or keyboard]. i have included a link to a screenshot to serve as a better example of the bug;

in-case that html does not work on your blog, here is the link in plain-text;

p.s. this bug only appears to occur under os x tiger, as those panels displayed correctly on my leopard machine.

-concerned user

by concerned user, February 19th, 2008 at 8:57 pm

19. Question on your readout of H.264 MP4 (.m4v) files. I’m using Handbrake 0.9.2 to encode one of my DVD’s with the setting of AVC/H.264 Video /AC3 Audio and Track 1 of the Audio Settings says English (AC3) (5.1 ch). Yet when I open this file in your tool it says Codec: ac-3 BUT Number of Audio Channels: 2. I was expecting to see 6 channels like I see on some of my AVI files in your tool. Is your tool not capable of reading these or am I not using Handbrake correctly? These files, when played on my surround system, show up as Dolby Digital just adding to the confusion.

by Chris, May 10th, 2008 at 6:21 pm

20. Well, found one part of my question on the handbrake forums:

….AC3 pass-thru is 2-channel. AC3 is piped as 16-bit PCM. It’s a stereo stream of data decoded by a receiver into 5.1 channels of sound.

But it’s a bummer MediaInfo is unable to recognize this and display the correct AC-3 info (neither can QuickTime for that matter). MediaInfo is still a very impressive tool, nonetheless..

by Chris, May 10th, 2008 at 8:03 pm

21. Just downloaded the app after reading about it on the Visual Hub forums… and right away (without really using it) have come up with a feature request!! I am currently having a problem with a Mov file – it will play in Quicktime but not on my apple TV. But I have loads of Mov files that play great on both. Sooooooo – I want to compare the data from a file that works with one that doesn’t … this could give me some clues on how I might re-encode to make it work (ie don’t want to process any file more than once due to potential quality loss).
    So – a compare files button would be great – load a file, load another and highlight the differences in red!?
    Cheers

by Dave, May 22nd, 2008 at 9:03 am

22. v0.7.6.30 – Great product; thanks.

HandBrake rip of Fleetwood Mac’s – The Dance in AAC/AC3 audio; MediaInfo incorrectly reports that the AC3 track is two track instead of 5.1. However QuickTime Pro reports 5.1 and listening to it confirms it. I made a sample file if you have a repository for me to send it to (Send me an email).

by MichaelLAX, May 24th, 2008 at 1:03 pm

23. this is a fantastic utility for os x. i have been using it for a while now but have one question, and it is this:

will support for reading information from any xiph/vorbis format files (flac, ogg etc…) ever be added?

thanks in advance for any response,
    ari

p.s. i ask because the mediainfo library this project revolves around does indeed support these formats.

by haleakalari, June 12th, 2008 at 9:21 am

24. An excellent little tool! My compliments. There is one thing I’d like to see though… I often want to look the info for two files at the same time, and I have to go through the extra step of exporting the info first. The ability to open multiple files simultaneously for comparison would be wonderful. Thanks for an excellent product!

by Lonn, June 20th, 2008 at 11:54 am

25. @Lonn and haleakalari:
    Try VideoSpec (http://laurent.ettouati.free.fr/VideoSpec/index_intl.html) which uses MediaInfo CLI.
    Laurent

by Laurent Ettouati, July 2nd, 2008 at 2:49 am

26. Looks like a very usefull app although I’ve not tested it yet. Just a little thing: The screenshot shows a “Subwoofer Channel” as part of the ac3 file. There is no such thing. It’s called LFE with stands for “Low Frequency Extension” The subwoofer is the loudspeaker, with is not nessecarilly fed only by the LFE.

by Roman, July 22nd, 2008 at 4:04 pm

27. In line with the changelog, 0.7.7.50 does not run under Tiger for me. Downgraded back to 0.7.6.31 and all is well.

by MediaInfoMac User, August 27th, 2008 at 5:04 pm

28. For me 0.7.7.50 does not run under Tiger (10.4.11) on a intel iMac 17″ but does run on a QuickSilver G4 under Tiger (10.4.11).
    Laurent

by Laurent Ettouati, September 3rd, 2008 at 5:35 am

29. Running 0.7.7.52 under 10.5.4 G5 (PPC) opens to GUI but crashes when accessing file info (works fine with 10.5.4 Intel).

by michael, September 3rd, 2008 at 7:38 am

30. ciao, ottimo sw. funzionava perfettamente finchè non ho upgradato alla versione 0.7.7.5 che non gira (10.4.10 – macintel). L’applicazione semplicemente non si apre. Dove posso trovare una versione vecchia per fare un rollback?!

grazie

ciao

by mik, September 8th, 2008 at 9:36 am

31. 0.7.7.58 fixes crash under 10.5.4 G5 (PPC). Thank you!

by michael, September 19th, 2008 at 11:43 pm

32. 0.7.7.58 runs under Intel Tiger (10.4.11) without crashing on open. Thank you!

by MediaInfoMac User, September 26th, 2008 at 12:17 pm

33. Hello, thanks for this useful application, now a dont have to open parallels to get info from mediainfo for windows.

My only request is support for subtitle streams, at least in mkv containers.

Regards!

by goridelta, October 2nd, 2008 at 6:24 am

34. Thanks for such an amazing tool :)

I’m a little bit sad when I’ve got to load MediaInfo (with Wine) to get subtitle information but that’s not a big problem.

Mainly I was wondering if it’s possible to “calculate” an initial delay between video and audio track ?
    For MKV file.

Because many times I have to apply delay in order to get in sync with foreign language(not English track) and later I may be willing to ad subtitle or other information even an another audio track and at that time knowing the delay I applied a while back can save me a lot of time.

And would it be possible to get one export file for many audio track as the input ?

Anyway congrats for the software.

Regards,

Jonathan

by JonTHn, October 2nd, 2008 at 4:42 pm

35. @JonTHn: I will be adding that REALLY soon togheter with whole metadata parsing, including lyrics, artwork and the whole fancy stuff, just have a little more patience :)

by Diego Massanti, October 2nd, 2008 at 7:15 pm