MediaInfo Mac 0.7.7.58, revisited.

As you maybe know, time is a commodity these days, but i took some hours to fix some bugs and update several things in MediaInfo Mac.
Most of the fixes are related to the usability aspect of this little tool, as in, improved open and save dialogs, etc, but there is also some speed improvement in the parsing routines, and, the application is 64bit ready now (for capable hardware).
For the late comers, MediaInfo Mac is a Macintosh version of an amazing tool (called MediaInfo) created by Jerome Martinez, you can find more info about his incredible work by going here.

If you want to download MediaInfo Mac, you can visit the official site by going here… or, if you are lazy, you can just grab the latest version by clicking here.

Below is a little video demo of what the application can do and what kind of detailed information you should expect when processing video / audio files.

[flashvideo filename=/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/mediainfo_demo.mp4 /]

As usual, questions, comments and suggestions are welcome :)

24 Responses to “MediaInfo Mac 0.7.7.58, revisited.”

1. Amazing.
    i was looking for something like that.

For MP3 it would be great to know the Lame preset like Audio Identifier and Mr. Questionman does in Windows cause VBR is not enough
    V2 and V0 are VBR and sometimes (always to tell the true) i want to know if the file is v2 or v0

thanks for this amazing app.

by Ivo, October 9th, 2008 at 3:26 pm

2. Great utility!

One problem: I have some DV files that don’t show -any- information in MediaInfo (they don’t even show as having been opened by the app). QuickTime shows it’s normal bunch of info, but I was wondering if anyone else has had files that show nothing in MediaInfo.

Thanks for the wonderful app.

by Doug, October 31st, 2008 at 2:26 pm

3. Hey Doug, this is certainly weird… i work almost daily with DV streams and never had such problem…. on top of that, I’m using the operating system api’s for the file management part (opening and closing of files) so the fact that you say the files are not showing as even opened by the app is certainly strange…
    Could you upload a few seconds of one of those problematic files so i can test it myself ? Thanks.

by Diego Massanti, November 1st, 2008 at 8:26 pm

4. hi! What an excellent tool this is.
    I have some suggestions i’d like to share. Clearly, some are more for version 9, but perhaps they are inspiring nonetheless.
    It would be nice to have…
    * a finder-info integration / quick look like feature: not dragging but just activating a file in the finder to reveal info (similar to command-option-i)
    * user ordered display (or user colored, to quickly find back those most relevant attributes)
    * drag/drop support of attribute selections to other apps, to export parts
    * support to view folders (eg .iso or _ts ); of course with auto-recognition of the main feature please :-)
    * export wizard, to drag a whole folder with movies and export moviename + user selected attributes to a editable text format

by wessel, February 1st, 2009 at 10:11 am

5. found a small bug:
    when dragging certain .avi files, the text at the bottom updates (“info for:: movie.avi”), but in fact it still displays the info of the previously inspected movie. (should say sth like “can’t read data”)
    I do not know what kind of avi goes wrong, but it seems to have to do with the video format (quicktime calls this format “generic MPEG-4”)

by wessel, February 1st, 2009 at 10:18 am

6. Hi Diego,

Thanks for the great Mac application!
    I have a feature request (don’t know if it is a FAQ…)
    MediaInfo doesn’t provide information on the presence of subtitle tracks in .MKV files.
    If I use mkvinfo I do get to see the subtitle track info, next to the video and audio info.
    It would be nice to have that information visible via MediaInfo Mac also.

Cheers,
    Pieter.

by Pieter, February 10th, 2009 at 2:53 pm

7. 1) Can you add an option in the “Contextual Menu Items” for this software? example: ClamXav have “Scan with ClamXav” (Other) for your software “Scan with MediaInfo”

2) The MediaInfo feedback system don’t work. I try a lot of time.

3) I can translate Mediainfo to italian language if you want.

Thank you for the software.

sorry for my english

Erick

by Erick, March 1st, 2009 at 7:02 am

8. Superb app!!!

Would it be possible to copy the result automatically to the clipboard. Exporting and opening in TextEdit works ofcourse, but the workflow could be faster, if the results are simply copied to the clipboard.

tia

by TiGerman, March 7th, 2009 at 8:03 am

9. @TiGerman: good idea! i will implement that on the upcoming version. Thanks.

by Diego Massanti, March 10th, 2009 at 4:16 am

10. It’s a great tool Diego and has been my mainstay in OSX 10.5. But any chance you could make a version that runs with the developer edition OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard? Currently the icon bounces in the dock for a long time, then the app. exits. I tried setting the ‘run in 32 bit mode’ and ‘run with Rosetta’ flags but it still falls over.

Many thanks – Geoff.

by GeoffT, March 24th, 2009 at 6:25 am

11. I just wanted to thank you for developing this program and making it freeware. It’s PERFECT, just the tool I need, and I’m using and lovin’ it on a daily basis. The suggestions that I’m reading here are nice… but (for me) not really necessary, when I said that the program is perfect as it is now, I meant PER-FECT.

I’ll make a donation as soon as I’m not as broke as I am now… (yes, I mean that too: I’m BROKE). Anyway, thanks again.

by Grateful Dude, May 9th, 2009 at 5:10 pm

12. Hi Diego, my thanks – this is doing what i was looking for. I will look some more, but dont know how to do scan of folder ? I am trying to use this to have text list of the info of files in folder.

by johanv, May 16th, 2009 at 1:50 am

13. Hi I get different bitrate results using MPEG Streamclip and Media Info on different movie files. Only MP4 videos seem to match up in both apps. Why is this? Which is correct?

by Ric, June 1st, 2009 at 9:38 pm

14. Hi Diego, nice piece of software.
    I really appreciate the new release 0.7.13.58 as I loved previous one.
    Buuuuuuut, I still encounter the same problem as in the previous versions to send feedback.
    the built-in menu item “Send feedback” systematically leads to:

Error contacting server…
    There was an error while trying to send your
    feedback, please try again in some minutes.

So, not easy to make a bug-report about this bug ;-) Then I choose the blog.

by Yann, July 19th, 2009 at 8:36 am

15. The Latest version of MediaInfo Mac 0.7.17.3 is broken on retail release of Snow Leopard 10.6. Don’t know if you will fix this because you discontinued your app. It would be nice to fix it one last time for Snow Leopard. Thanks

by Axledental DJ, September 1st, 2009 at 10:30 am

16. Hi,

MediaInfo Mac version 0.7.17.3 crash every time on Snow Leopard at the program start. :(

by Bernd, September 2nd, 2009 at 3:10 am

17. Well Bernd & others, I never claimed compatibility with SL, plus, MediaInfo Mac is dead in the way we know it. Im working on a brand new application that will be released soon.
    Cheers.

by Diego Massanti, September 2nd, 2009 at 7:04 pm

18. Hi Diego,

Is their a feed or page or anything we can subscribe to, to find out when the brand new application is released?

Any idea of rough time frames?

Adrian

by Adrian, September 3rd, 2009 at 11:08 am

19. Sure, you can suscribe to the main RSS feed for this blog, whenever there are any news about the new MediaInfo Mac version, it will be publishied here, and no, it won’t take months for a new version.

by Diego Massanti, September 3rd, 2009 at 11:15 am

20. A new version of MediaInfo Mac which fixes the SL compatibility issues has been released. You can get it here: http://mediainfo.massanti.com/releases/ (get 0.7.17.4).

Cheers, Diego.

by Diego Massanti, September 4th, 2009 at 2:30 pm

21. Hey Diego, very excited to try this out…but I’m running Tiger 10.11 on a PPC processor. What’s the last version that will work and where do I get it? Really appreciate you help!

by Miles, September 20th, 2009 at 12:49 pm

22. Diego, just found your archive on the home page. Trying it out now. Thanks!

by Miles, September 20th, 2009 at 1:01 pm

23. Just downloaded Mediainfo for Mac and opened a Quicktime (.mov) file that was created by using Final Cut Pro and a hardware video capture card (not sure but possibly a Black Magic card). Quicktime Pro says the file is Uncompressed, 8-bit, 4:2:2, 720×486.

Unfortunately upon opening this file with Mediainfo I was disappointed to see that the field order (aka: scan order) was not being reported.

Is this a bug?

Personallyb I’ve been on the lookout for some app that can tell me the TRUE field order of any type of video file. REASON: I won’t go into detail but I found a bug in Apple’s Compressor when they released version 3 where it sometimes interprets the field order incorrectly. I don’t know how to replicate this problem though but I have had to painstakingly deal with it.

So… Any Ideas why this missing info in MediaInfo?

Thanks!

by Xavier, October 21st, 2010 at 11:14 am

24. If you can create a 1 second sample and post a link to it here, it would be great. That’s the only way i can test.
    Thanks.