Why the new tabs in Safari 4 are a shame…

So yesterday I downloaded the new Safari 4 beta release from Apple… and yes, it is faster, the new “top sites” feature is kinda “cool”, but I happen to see way too much “Chrome like” UI features here, specially, the new tabs design. Apple clearly wanted to imitate the tabs in Chrome, but they did it wrong, because, if you have 3 opened tabs and you want to reach the 3rd one, the distance between Tab 1 and Tab 3 is more than 2/3 of your screen (or more than 1000 pixels in most standard screens).

Die hard apple fanboys have told me things like “It’s just a matter of getting used to them” or “You have to use keyboard shortcuts to switch tabs”.

Well, let me tell you that i see no reason why i should “get used” to something that I don’t like at all, and let me also tell you that when I’m browsing the web, i usually DON’T use the keyboard at all which is why I’m blaming at the new tabs. Of course, thanks god you can switch back to the old tabs scheme, but right now, the preference is hidden, so i really hope that apple adds this as a standard preference for the final release.

Anyway, a video is better than a thousand words.

Last minute note…. while editing this post, i found that Safari 4 breaks the Rich Text Editor in WordPress, but since it is yet a beta, i guess it’s ok.

[flashvideo file=”/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/safari-4.mov” /]

9 Responses to “Why the new tabs in Safari 4 are a shame…”

1. Hmm this seems a bit silly doesn’t it! I’m gonna hang back a while I think. Also what did you use to make this video? I noticed that icon on your dock.

by Mikee Bee, February 25th, 2009 at 10:55 am

2. @Mikee Bee: I use ScreenFlow to make most of the videos on this site.

by Diego Massanti, February 25th, 2009 at 11:18 am

3. I agree. I’m a die hard fanboy, but I puked out my eyeballs as soon as I saw the tabs. Thanks to a terminal command I was back in business within 5 minutes.

by Stuart, February 25th, 2009 at 5:19 pm

4. I guess you have a valid point (I certainly hadn’t notice though).

I’m just not really sure why you need safari to fill your screen. That’s one of the things I love about OS X, the maximize (or in OS X, “zoom”) button doesn’t fill your screen, it only make the window as large as it needs to be. Using the zoom button to see all of Google’s search results your first and last tabs are less than 250px apart, to see all of the IBM website, just under 300px. Even on your website, which I would consider on the wider side of most layouts, the first and last tabs are just over 300px apart.

Obviously just my opinion but I defiantly appreciate the extra bit of real-estate from the new tabs, even if it is just 20 some pixels.

by Colin, February 27th, 2009 at 11:13 am

5. @Colin: There is always a reason to have a window maximized to cover the whole screen… maybe i just don’t want to be distracted by anything else, maybe i just like the extra space, i don’t know. Implying that the tabs are OK and that I am using the window in the wrong manner is just… weird though.

by Diego Massanti, February 27th, 2009 at 11:18 am

6. @Diego: I was never implying that you were using Safari incorrectly or in the wrong manner, it’s your Safari and your OS X, use it however you like. I said “I’m just not really sure why you need safari to fill your screen” because I really wasn’t sure why. I maximize the use of my screen real-estate because I like/need to see everything that’s going on at once, but that’s just me. I totally understand the distraction thing though, I have processes in place (mostly SpiritedAway) to keep me from getting distracted too. I was just trying to explain some of the Apple UI logic behind the tabs, that’s all. No hard feelings I hope.

by Colin, February 27th, 2009 at 12:11 pm

7. @Colin: of course no hard feelings man, i was just waking up when i wrote that so i guess my politeness factor wasn’t the best ;)

by Diego Massanti, February 27th, 2009 at 12:14 pm

8. :)

by Leandro de los Santos, March 14th, 2009 at 8:06 pm

9. Someone must read this blogs. The tabs are now like any other browser…

by Leandro de los Santos, July 27th, 2009 at 7:41 am